Wednesday, November 6, 2013

NaNoWriMo is...AMAZING!

Hello, faithful readers!

First, I want to say, "Wow!"  I updated my blog for the first time in a while yesterday...and in less than 12 hours I got over a hundred pageviews!  Thanks!

Now...NaNoWriMo.  For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is the acronym for National Novel Writing Month; the objective is to complete a 50k novel in 30 days.  This requires an average of 1667 words per day.  I started writing a sci-fi/thriller novel (it didn't start out as a thriller, but you know how that goes).  I'm on track and will cross 10k words today, Day 6 of NaNoWriMo.

What can I say?  Putting myself under this kind of pressure to write has been like a shot in the arm, like a draught of caffeine when I'm dragging!  I had forgotten how much fun it was to just churn words out on the page like that; since I lost my computer (and the half-novel that was on it), I've been struggling to find time to write.  So many things kept getting in the way - the day job, kids, sleep - and I was having a hard time putting 100 words down, let alone my old quota of 1600.

But...when I have to do it?  When it's the matter of success or failure at an admittedly made-up deadline?  I get 1700 + easy and still have time in the day.  I find a few moments to type and there are another 100, 200, 300 words.  It's like I'm on steroids, like a runner in a marathon would feel if he/she was dragging ass after the 21st mile and someone came by and pumped all the fatigue out of their body (I was looking for a realistic analogy with that, but couldn't find one <.< >.>).  Keep a lookout for Cycles of Destruction - Earth, first draft finished around the end of November!

Keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment